Microalgae Process Engineer
Description du poste
Since 2012, Total has been carrying out cutting-edge research on the production of biomolecules using microalgae. These R&D programs are done in collaboration with several academic partners and focus on the productivity of microalgae strains on the one hand, and the design, evaluation and scale-up of production processes on the other.
The Microalgae Process Engineer will actively participate in the development of a microalgae-based bioprocess, from lab to the demo scale.
His/her responsibilities will be the following:
· Develop and implement processes of microalgae cultivation and oil extraction, from the laboratory to outdoor pilot scale, choosing optimal options for each stage.
o Follow experimental work performed at bench scale / pilot within the group or with partners
o Select and evaluate technologies for outdoor production with a cost constrain of a commodity molecule
· Establish bases of process design and equipment selection to be implemented at the demo scale, in close cooperation with other Total entities, vendors, technology developers, consultants and other external partners.
· Perform technical-economic analyses and evaluate costs associate to different technology choices, giving direction to R&D efforts.
· Leadthe construction of a pilot unit allowing for the industrialization of microalgae-based production.
· Develop a strong network of technology and equipment providers and capturing relevant know-how in technical notes, handbooks and manuals.
Contexte et Environnement
The jobholder will work within the Process Department of the Biofuels Division, within the Refining and Chemicals branch. This entity was meet Total’s ambitious environmental roadmap in the frame of the 2°C scenario. The microalgae projects and the knowhow associated are fully integrated within this ambition. The Microalgae Process Engineer will be a key technical role to deliver on it, working with partners around the world (engineering companies, start-ups, consultants, equipment manufacturers, professional organizations) as well as other branches of Total (Refining and Chemicals R&D, Central R&D, Industrialization experts).
Degree in Chemical Engineering - Process Engineering or equivalent (MSc or PhD).
Knowledgeable on algae cultivation and associated downstream routes.
3-5 years of relevant work experience: process engineering, process development, scale-up, industrial process design.
Proven experience in conducting studies and projects within multidisciplinary teams.
Excellent command of English. French is much appreciated.
Able to travel to meet partners to perform pilot work.
13-Jul-2018 - TOTAL